Vegan Pizza Dough Recipe
Whether it be clothing, music, food, and especially pizza, we all have our own favorites. Pizza Dough is an integral part of the pizza, and even on the pizza base, everyone has their own choice.
If you love pizza, but are looking for a healthier option, this vegan pizza dough recipe is for you! Made with whole wheat flour and no dairy, it's a delicious and easy way to enjoy your favorite food. You won't even miss the cheese! In this blog post, we give a simple and easy recipe for making vegan pizza dough.
What is vegan pizza dough and what are its benefits over regular pizza dough
Before we get into the Vegan Pizza Dough Recipe, let us discuss the difference between a vegan pizza dough and non-vegan pizza dough. We call it vegan if all ingredients are not from animals or processed using animal products. Lard is usually used in pizza dough which makes it non-vegan, so in this recipe, we will not use it. Yeast is not an animal-derived product because it is from the fungi kingdom, so it is safe to use it for vegans.
Making homemade vegan pizza dough is surprisingly easy and it will make your homemade pizzas taste even better! Vegan pizza dough is made from simple ingredients that are accessible to a lot of people, like flour, vegetable oil, water, sugar, yeast and salt. These ingredients help give the dough its thick texture and soft consistency that pairs perfectly with almost any topping you can think of. The best part about making vegan pizza dough is that it's not only vegan-friendly but also a lot healthier than regular pizza dough since it doesn't contain any animal byproducts or saturated fat. It's important to note that homemade vegan pizza dough requires some patience as you let the yeast infuse all of those delicious flavors in the dough itself. But hey - playing the waiting game has never tasted so good!
The ingredients you'll need to make your own vegan pizza dough
Making vegan pizza dough at home is the perfect way to enjoy delicious pizzas with vegan cheese and your favorite toppings. All you need for vegan dough is a few simple pantry staples, such as wheat flour and vegan yogurt, plus some vegan butter or oil for an extra soft texture. If you are looking for special dough mixes, check out the Gluten Free Pizza Dough Mixes available from our friends at the Prepared Pantry!
Once you have all the ingredients on hand, it's just a matter of combining them together with other spices like garlic powder and herbs to make vegan-friendly dough that bakes up perfectly every time. With vegan pizza dough, you can top your pies however you like – add all the veggies, vegan cheese or just your favorite sauces – whatever suits your tastes! You'll be amazed at how delicious vegan pizza can taste when made from scratch.
Easy Vegan Pizza Dough Recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or Gluten Free Pizza Crust Baking Mix)
- 1 package active dry yeast (or instant yeast)
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. sugar (Honey is the first choice here but, because this recipe is vegan, we use sugar to be safe)
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
How to make vegan pizza dough step-by-step
Making vegan pizza dough doesn't have to be difficult! With a wooden spoon and a few simple ingredients, you can make amazing home-made vegan pizza dough.
- Fire up your outdoor pizza oven to around 800F or if using an indoor oven preheat to 425 F.
- In preparation of your pizza dough, gently whisk the whole wheat flour and then carefully spoon it into a measuring cup and level to the exact measurement.
- Start by combining flour, yeast, salt, and sugar in a bowl with your wooden spoon until they are mixed together.
- Next, pour the water and vegetable oil into the mixture while stirring it continuously with your wooden spoon. Keep stirring until the dough becomes sticky and resists being stirred (this should take at LEAST 3 minutes).
- Cover your dough with plastic wrap, put in a warm place and let it rise to your desired proportions (this will take at from 10 minutes to 1 hour depending on the yeast used).
- Place the ball of dough on a lightly floured surface and knead it for 10 minutes for best results.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten your homemade dough to the desired shape and thickness.
- Next, place the dough on a greased 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking sheet or 12 to 14-inch pizza stone or pizza peel if you are going to use your outdoor oven.
- In order to form a rim that will become the edge of the crust, make sure to gently press the pizza dough to fully cover the pan but this step is not needed if cooking in a wood-fired pizza oven.
- Spread tomato sauce or the pizza sauce of choice to the homemade pizza dough.
- This will be the best part - add your favorite pizza toppings!
- Last but not the least, bake your homemade pizza on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown or the toppings are cooked to your liking. Take note: if you are using your outdoor wood-fired pizza or gas oven, your pizza will cook much faster due to the high heat!
Now you're ready to enjoy your delicious homemade vegan pizza dough!
Some tips and tricks for making the perfect vegan pizza dough every time
Making the perfect vegan pizza dough is easier than you might think! When making vegan pizza dough, opt for a type of flour that's high in protein content like bread or all-purpose flour. Be sure to also use quick yeast – this type of yeast will speed up your preparation time and make the process simpler.
Additionally, when kneading your dough be sure to do so in an oiled bowl. Doing this will keep your pizza dough from sticking to the sides of your bowl and help it rise evenly. If you follow these tips and tricks, you'll be well on your way to making the perfect vegan pizza every time!
Whether you’re vegan or just looking to mix up your pizza dough game, this recipe for vegan pizza dough is sure to hit the spot. With only a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, you can make delicious and healthy vegan pizza dough right at home.
Follow the steps outlined in this blog post and you’ll be enjoying a slice (or two) of piping hot vegan pizza in no time. If you’re looking for other great recipes delivered straight to your inbox, be sure to sign up for our newsletter.
FAQs About Vegan Pizza Dough
What is a Good Vegan Pizza Recipe?
-1 vegan pizza crust (homemade or store-bought)
-3/4 cup organic marinara sauce
-2 cups vegan mozzarella cheese, shredded
-1 large tomato, sliced thin
-1 small onion, chopped finely
-1/4 cup black olives, sliced thin
-1/4 cup vegan pepperoni, sliced
-2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place pizza crust on a baking sheet or pizza stone and spread marinara sauce evenly over the surface.
3. Sprinkle cheese on the pizza, then layer with tomato slices, onion, olives and pepperoni.
4. Sprinkle Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper on top of the pizza.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
6. Let cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Where to Buy Vegan Pizza Dough
Vegan pizza dough can be found in many grocery stores, health food stores, and specialty vegan stores. For those looking to purchase pre-made vegan pizza dough, there are a few popular brands that carry it such as Boboli and Amy’s Kitchen. It is also available from some online retailers like Amazon or Thrive Market.
For those wanting to make their own vegan pizza dough, there are many recipes online that include simple ingredients like flour, yeast, olive oil, and salt. There is also a variety of vegan-friendly flours available such as almond or coconut flour which can be used to create an even tastier pizza.
No matter what type of vegan pizza dough you choose, it's important to make sure that you're using a quality product. If buying pre-made, look for brands that are organic or non-GMO verified and use natural ingredients. If making your own, double check all of the ingredients to make sure they meet your dietary needs.
Is Pizza Dough Vegan?
The answer to this question is "it depends". It ultimately comes down to the basic ingredients used in a particular pizza dough recipe. Traditional pizza dough recipes typically include flour, yeast and water. However, some recipes may also call for eggs or other animal-based products such as milk, butter, or cheese.
If those additional ingredients are included, the dough may not be vegan. It's also important to be mindful of any other ingredients that may be used on top of the pizza. Regardless of whether you're using store-bought or homemade pizza dough, common animal-based toppings include cheese, pepperoni and sausage, so make sure to double-check the ingredients list or ask before ordering a vegan pizza.
If you're unsure about a particular pizza dough recipe, it's best to check the ingredient list or contact the restaurant or pizzeria in question directly to confirm whether the dough is vegan-friendly. There are also plenty of recipes for vegan pizza dough available online that you can try making at home. These recipes typically include ingredients like flour, water, yeast, olive oil and salt. There are also vegan pizza options such as vegan mozzarella, sun-dried tomatoes, and red pepper flakes that will make pizza night a big hit with your vegan friends.
Having vegan pizza dough on hand can make it much easier to enjoy delicious vegan pizzas without having to worry about the ingredients used in the dough. With a little bit of research and preparation, it's definitely possible to enjoy delicious vegan pizzas using vegan pizza dough!