Whether it be clothing, music, food, and especially pizza, we all have our own favorites. Pizza Dough is an integral part of the pizza, and even on the pizza base, everyone has their own choice. In this blog post, we give a simple and easy recipe for making vegan pizza dough.
Before we get into the Vegan Pizza Dough Recipe, let us discuss the difference between a vegan pizza dough and non-vegan pizza dough. We call it vegan if all ingredients are not from animals or processed using animal products. Lard is usually used in pizza dough which makes it non-vegan, so in this recipe, we will not use it. Yeast is not an animal-derived product because it is from the fungi kingdom, so it is safe to use it for vegans.
Enjoy cooking as you follow this steps!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 package active dry yeast (or instant yeast)
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. sugar( Honey is the first choice here but because it is for vegans so we use sugar to be safe)
Steps to make your vegan pizza dough:
- Fire up your outdoor pizza oven to around 800F or if using an indoor oven preheat to 425 F.
- In preparation of your pizza dough, gently whisk the whole wheat flour and then carefully spoon it into a measuring cup and level to the exact measurement.
- Combine the first three ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Make sure that all three ingredients (wheat flour, yeast, and salt) are measured correctly.
- Mix the hot water, vegetable oil, and sugar in the bowl. Stir all ingredients continuously until everything is well mixed (this should take at LEAST 3 minutes).
- Cover your dough with plastic wrap and let it rise to your desired proportions (this will take at least 5-10 minutes).
- Next, place the dough on a greased 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan or 12 to 14-inch pizza pan or pizza peel if you are going to use your outdoor oven.
- In order to form a rim that will become the edge of the crust, make sure to gently press the pizza dough to fully cover the pan but this step is not needed if cooking in a wood-fired pizza oven.
- This will be the best part, adding the toppings! Before the toppings, the pizza sauce that you want should be added first then the toppings that you love.
- Last but not the least, bake your homemade pizza in your preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown or the toppings are cooked to your liking. Take note: if you are using your outdoor wood-fired pizza or gas oven, your pizza will cook much faster!
Do you have a favorite VEGAN RECIPE? Tell us about it in the comments below! :-)