Imagine the crackling of a roaring campfire, the scent of the great outdoors, and the anticipation of a hearty meal that's about to be cooked in the most rustic and satisfying way possible. Campfire lasagna is the epitome of outdoor culinary adventure, a dish that combines the comfort of traditional Italian flavors with the thrill of cooking over an open flame.
As you embark on this culinary journey, you'll discover that campfire lasagna isn't just a meal; it's an experience. The combination of fresh ingredients, bubbling cheese, and the subtle smokiness from the flames infuses each layer with a unique, earthy flavor that's hard to replicate in a conventional kitchen.
Whether you're surrounded by fellow campers, friends, or family, there's something undeniably special about sharing this wholesome, campfire-cooked delight under the vast, starry sky. So, prepare to bond over the crackling embers and tantalizing aromas, creating memories that will be as enduring as the taste of your homemade campfire lasagna.
This recipe will show you how to create a mouthwatering lasagna that's as memorable as the setting in which it's prepared; whether it's deep in the wilderness with only a campfire or sitting in your backyard with a wood-fired oven.
You will need a one (12-inch) (8-quart) Dutch Oven with lid for this recipe.
- 2 cups whole-milk ricotta
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 4 cups jarred marinara or tomato sauce
- 9 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles (12 noodles)
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed and meat chopped into small pieces, optional
- Two 8-ounce bags shredded mozzarella (about 4 cups)
- Mix the ricotta, Italian seasoning, egg and 1/2 cup Parmesan in a medium bowl until combined.
- Add 1/2 cup sauce and 1/2 cup water to the bottom of a large Dutch oven with a lid.
- Top with 3 noodles, breaking them as necessary to fit.
- Pour 1 cup sauce over the noodles and spread to cover.
- Dollop a third of the ricotta mixture on top of the noodles and spread it out with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle a third of the sausage on top of the ricotta if using.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella.
- Repeat the layers 2 more times with the noodles, sauce, ricotta, sausage if using and mozzarella.
- Finish with another layer of noodles and the remaining 1/2 cup sauce.
- Top with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Cover with the lid.
- Prepare coals or a campfire for cooking at medium-high heat. Arrange the coals so there is a hole in the center large enough to hold the Dutch oven without it touching any of the coals directly.
- Place the Dutch oven in the hole. With tongs or a shovel, place a few coals on the lid of the Dutch oven.
- Cook for 20 minutes, rotating the pot occasionally.
- Remove the coals from the lid and take the Dutch oven off the fire.
- Let sit, covered, for 15 minutes more.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!!!
RECIPE COURTESY OF FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN